Donkeys need a lot of care and attention. They are sociable animals and are usually kept in pairs to keep them happy. They need regular grooming, and they need shelter when it is cold, as they are a Mediterranean species that are not tolerant of our British winters.
- Pedro is the darker of the two donkeys.
- He is a 19-year-old gelding.
- He is confident and friendly, and likes to look after his best friend Nid
- Nid is shaggier and lighter than Pedro.
- He is an 12-year-old gelding.
- He is friendly, but a little shyer than his companion
Nid and Pedro were relinquished separately to The Donkey Sanctuary in Devon early in 2000. They came from homes where the owners were no longer able to look after them. They spent three years in a foster home in Shropshire, and came to us in May 2003.